My first round edits came back for FIRE IN THE WOODS, which has been contracted with a three-month deadline to publication. I took a deep breath, knowing that the completed edits were due back in FIVE DAYS.
I was pretty surprised, though. This is the content edit phase, and they asked for very few changes. In one spot, they thought the father should have reacted more quickly. I fixed this simply by editing the dialog a smidge.
The next thing they said, which made me sweat a little, was that they didn’t buy the reason why my MC was afraid of another character. So I thought this over, and realized they were right when they said it felt like a forced conflict. I really hadn’t developed that secondary character at all. He was too flat, and had no history.
So I thought over why she might be afraid of him, and gave him a 100 word history based on a strategically placed inner thought/flashback. I have to admit, this little change really gave both the MC and the secondary character depth.
Another thing I had to fix was a product of the multiple revisions this manuscript has seen over time. Jess comes to a conclusion about “what’s going on” with no reason for it. After thinking it over, she had a very good reason to come to this conclusion. The problem was, I never let the reader in as to HOW she came to this conclusion. Again, an easy fix with a simple inner thought right before she comes to that little epiphany that drives the story onward.
The other changes were simple. A missing word here or there.
Then I hit the OMG part. And I will admit, this was totally MY DOING. In the spirit of always keeping my posts short, I’ll tell you all about it in my next segment. This is something I usually check for. I don’t even know how I missed it.