Spend five minutes with my favorite character, Magellan.
Magellan lifted his hands to shield his face. Heat and flames licked against his skin, taunting, begging to devour. They reached up and around him, a wall, impenetrable, indomitable, deadly.
He stepped back, reeling from the heat, and the flames advanced. Sweat dampened his temple as his heart shook. The world around him: engulfed, gone, succumbed to fire. Everything he knew was beyond the flames. Did it still exist? Did the people he loved wait for him beyond?
Shuttering, terrified, Magellan took a deep breath, closed his eyes, and jumped through the fire. But he never felt its heat. He opened his eyes, and the flames remained, taunting, begging.
“Enough,” he whispered, and the flames disappeared.
Here’s my update:
1. Blog Posts: Two regular blog posts completed (a Manuscript Red-line post, and a writer’s advice post from the Q&A session)
2. Reverse-Nano goal: My novel started at 119,479 words. Now I am down to 114,713
3. Inserted the new “Stuck in a Closet” beginning (Increased the word count Ugh.)
4. Completely re-wrote my ending (again) It’s much more intense now, but yikes do I need someone to read it to make sure I’m not nuts.
5. Finished a complete edit/read of the entire novel. Eliminated about 11 unnecessary Points of View.
1. Jury’s still out on cutting that scene with the King and Magellan.
2. I didn’t cut the Matton meets the mercenary scenes. This is about 2,500 words of the 4,500 I wanted to cut this week. I’m going too, though… as much as I don’t want to.
1. Do two blog posts on cutting Points of View (Gold Mine Manuscript tips)
2. Re-write one of the dream sequences to richen the character of Darkness slightly
3. Re-write the scene where Matt gets his memory back. This is one of those huge-decision-things. I will probably be reverting back to my original draft. The current idea seems to be confusing, and too information-intense. This will probably cut quite a few words, too.
3. At least start the beta read I’ve been sitting on. (I promise I will start it this week, J)